Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Behind the Name Lies Another

It's great how hip hop artists always tell you their names at the beginning of their songs, this way you never have to look the song up! At times they even let you know the title of the song, how convenient.

What interests me though are the actual names of these guys. You have to wonder, wait a minute what is Snoop's real name? I get so used to seeing him as Snoop that I never even thought to think about it, let alone imagine him with another name.

My curiosity flourished and I found myself googling other hip hop artists' names in the process. Below is my compilation of real names that I would never associate with these artists. By the way, Snoop Doggy Dogg, his name is...get ready...Cordozar Calvin Broadus Jr. Didn't expect that, huh? Or did you?

Akon- Aliuane Badara Thiam (A for Akon?)

Flo Rida -Tramar Dillard (obsessed with his hometown)

Jay Z - Shawn Corey Carter (cute!)

Kid Cudi - Scott Mescudi (clever)

Ludacris - Christopher Brian Bridges (makes sense)

Lupe Fiasco - Wasalu Muhammad Jaco (random!)

Mos Def - Dante Terrell "Beze" Smith (beze...okay)

Ne-Yo -Shaffer Chimere Smith (seriously, shaffer!)

Sean Kingston - Kisean Anderson (representing Jamaica)

Soulja Boy - DeAndre Ramone Way (into the army?)

T.I. - Clifford Joseph Harris Jr. (red dog!!!)

T Pain - Faheem Najm (Ice T inspiration)

Wale - Olubowale Victor Akintimehin (got it!)

Yea, their cool factor just took a plunge down the hip hop whirlwhind. I see now why they change their names. I'll never be able to look at T.I, I mean Clifford the same. I listen to thier music all the time, I might as well know their real names, right? Also, check out this website for more real names. You might be shocked too!

1 comment:

  1. Akon is a refugee from Somalia. He fled to America in hopes of building a safer life for him and his family. His name is very traditional Somali, and I think quite beautiful. This post comes across very ethnocentric, as do 99% of your other posts. This appears to be for a class, and I cannot think that your teacher condones this closed mindedness that you regurgitate on here. Take this advice from a complete stranger, and a Professor at a LA area Community College, your blog is done in poor taste and needs to be edited for content. You need to do more research before you write things for the world to see. I am offended and I think you should work on a few things before continuing this blog.

    ReplyDelete