Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Beamer, Benz, or Bentley



WOW! This is RIDICULOUS! I can't believe that an entire song is dedicated to this. What has hip hop music come to? As much as I love hip hop music, (Lil Wayne shout out!) I feel that that the music videos are so degrading towards women. Of course you've got slutty looking girls who are barely covered, practically dancing on these men. They do nothing but seductively sway around these men or other girls. It's sad, these women are just seen as objects, just like the cars, watches, and necklaces flashed in the video. I don't think these women realize how they are being portrayed. The crazy thing is that they usually don’t even look into the camera. Their eyes are usually pointed down or to the side. This, I think is done on purpose.

What's sad is that this has become the stereotypical kind of music video for most male hip hop artists. Take for example, Gucci Mane’s new music video “Lemonade” and you will see the same aspects of women seen as objects in his video as well. Although there are not as many women in Gucci Mane’s video, there still are a few, and that makes the point. Overall, I feel like hip hop music is catchy and an energy booster for me personally. However, the music videos are just so wrong and they could be so much more creative, rather than the obvious video that we expect to see. Having the mentality of expecting to see something simply proves a lack of innovation in hip hop video making. I guess these hip hop artists are too into their drugs and cars to realize it (clearly by the lyrics in their songs). On a positive note though, I must admit I love Lloyd Banks' YSL shirt in this video. So, Beamer, Benz, or Bentley, which one do you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment